Whether you have GPU overheating issues or you wanna know about shared GPU Memory, you must have a question about how to check VRAM usage quickly and also in a quick way. Therefore, in this article, we have explained the method to check VRAM usage in Windows operating system!
If you do not know about VRAM, then it can be possible that you are confused between the operating system RAM and VRAM.
VRAM or Virtual RAM is nothing more than RAM specifically made for graphics card processors. This RAM will only be used for GPU-related processes. The operating system will use your RAM to minimize bottlenecks and overheat if this RAM gets full.
Check VRAM usage in Windows OS:
As we mentioned earlier that checking VRAM usage in Windows OS is very simple. There are two methods, and you can try any of them. But method one is a little easier!
You just have to follow the below steps carefully:
- You have to go to Windows Task Manager for the first step. There are many ways of going to Windows Task Manager. The best method is pressing Ctrl + Alt + DELETE. This will open a window where you just have to select “Windows Task Manager”. If you are using Windows 11, then you can quickly go to Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + SHIFT + ESC.
- You will see the process tab by default. You have to go to the “Performance” tab, which is right behind the process tab.
- By default, you will see that it is showing you CPU data. But, our point of interest is GPU. So, you just have to move to the “GPU” tab. You can make sure that you are on the GPU tab if it shows you 3D, encoding, and decoding graphs.
- Once you make sure that you are on the right tab, you can scroll down a little. Here you can quickly check what’s your total GPU memory (no matter dedicated or shared) along with its usage that you call VRAM usage!
If this method does not work, then make sure to follow each and every step carefully. Otherwise, you can follow the second method to check VRAM usage in Windows operating system.
The second method is all about downloading a new software and installing it. Therefore, we highly suggest you to use Method #01 first, then go for Method #02:
- Go to Geekbench [https://www.geekbench.com/download/] website, and download its software as per your operating system. One pro of using this technique is that you can also check VRAM usage for Linux and macOS.
- Installing Geekbench software is as simple as installing other software. After installation, you can find it from the start menu, or it is also available on the desktop.
- Sometimes, it asks for a restart to adapt GPU properties and details. Therefore, you should restart your computer after installing Geekbench software.
- You can easily open it and go through every tiny detail of your GPU. Remember, your CPU must be compatible to use this software. Anyways, those tiny detail also contain VRAM usage and VRAM speed.
Hence, using this process, you can also check VRAM usage. Remarkably, you can install other software to check VRAM as per your CPU compatibility and needs!
Check how much VRAM do you have:
Before checking total VRAM usage, you must know how much VRAM do you have [https://innotechreviews.com/learning-guides/what-is-vram-and-how-much-do-i-have/]. The process is as simple as stated above. You just have to follow the below steps:
- Go to “Windows Task Manager”. You can do this by various methods — however, the easiest way is to press Ctrl + SHIFT + ESC.
- After going to Task Manager, you just have to navigate to the Performance tab.
- After that, you have to go to the GPU tab. Here, you will find all of the details regarding your VRAM.
One should constantly check VRAM usage after a week or two. Because it also determines the health of your GPU. We hope that this article helps you check the VRAM usage of your GPU easily and most quickly. What graphics card do you prefer in 2022? Let us know.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I check my VRAM usage?
This process is straightforward. You can simply check your VRAM usage from “Windows Task Manager.” If you do not have Windows OS, then settings might be something else. Otherwise, there are many programs available on the market that show about GPU usage, including VRAM usage.
How do I check my VRAM speed?
Checking VRAM speed is also a simple process. You just have to go to Windows Task Manager for this purpose. Then, you can quickly check it from the performance tab then navigate to the GPU section. You will find out VRAM speed too in this section.
Is 128 MB VRAM good?
We highly do not recommend anyone playing high-graphics games with 18MB of VRAM. If you play different games on a daily basis, you must have at least 4GB of VRAM. Remember, this amount is the bare minimum for gaming. However, if you do not play games and do simple tasks only, then this VRAM is good to go.
Can you use RAM as VRAM?
Yes, you can use RAM as VRAM; however, this is only the case when your dedicated GPU memory overflows. Otherwise, the operating system is always coded to prefer VRAM as they are fast and directly allocated for graphics card processors. In more straightforward terms, operating system RAMs can be used VRAMs.
Can you increase VRAM?
There are two things if we talk about increasing VRAM. The first is shared GPU memory, and the second is dedicated GPU memory. You can increase shared GPU memory because it is your own operating system RAM at the end of the day; however, you can not increase the dedicated GPU memory as it comes as hardware devices, and changing it is nearly impossible.